How To Properly Break Difficult News Out to Your Children
As a parent, communication and maintaining an open and honest relationship is one of the most important tasks for your child’s development and to keep a healthy and interactive relationship. While every parent’s instinct is to protect their children from dangers, violence, trauma, or other tragedies, children’s lives could still be regularly touched by trauma without the parents realizing it.
How can difficult news affect your children if not addressed properly?
With technology actively taking control over our lives and doing the heavy lifting, kids are now bound to find out the news one way or another. This could happen through tweets, posts, breaking news, or alert notifications sent directly to the phone.
This news can vary from a horrific mass shooting, terrorist attack, murder or suicide, violent political rally, or the global pandemic. Such conversations do not seem easy, and parents often take a proactive stance and avoid complex topics altogether.
Some kids have a challenging time understanding and coping with the news events, while children in their teens usually cope and understand the current situation and face the challenges. A piece of terrible news can eventually be threatening or upsetting, affecting kids emotionally and mentally. The feeling of fear, anxiousness, stress, anger or even guilt last for an extended period that can affect them later in life and throughout their child development.
How to break difficult news
Here are some tips to help you address the news and current events to your little ones:
- Always consider the age of your child before opening up about the topic. Your child must be age-appropriate and must understand and comprehend the situation as it is.
- Encourage your little ones to process the story through play and art as children try to understand what is going on in their minds through creative activities such as art. On some occasions, it can be pretty disturbing to see children reenact or draw something violent or scary, but it allows parents to understand where their child stands emotionally.
- You must maintain a calm and safe environment when discussing a complex topic. Children always look up to their parents and reflect their elders’ reactions as their own. If you stay calm and rational, the kids will too.
- Honesty is the key element to keep the situation under control. Start the discussion by laying out all the facts at a level they can easily understand. Filter out the necessary points that give too much detail that could put them in distress.
- Give your kid a safe space to open up, reflect and share. Share your feelings and ask them about theirs. Give your child a chance to see how a particular situation has upset you so they can learn to acknowledge their feelings and learn how to pull themselves together. In simpler words, you must be their role model even on emotional terms.
More in Health
Taylor Swift Showed Her Generosity Once Again with This Selfless and Inspiring Act!
Country-singer-turned-pop star Taylor Swift has always been known as one of the most generous artists to fans in need. Of late,...May 4, 2023
Hollywood Businesses: Celebrities Who Are Successful Entrepreneurs
When the curtains close, celebrities should always have a backup plan. Yes, the entertainment industry may be lucrative, but there will...May 2, 2023
Remember When Kim Kardashian Was Fooled by a Man Who Stole Billions From Malaysian Government?
People who think that the Kardashians are ‘extra’ and ‘over the top’ have very good reasons for calling them these names....May 1, 2023
Hollywood Stars Who Are Billionaires!
It’s no secret that you can build a fortune from the entertainment industry, but despite the massive paychecks actors take home,...April 25, 2023
The Elephant Express: Zimbabwe’s Stunning 80km Safari Train
The Elephant Express is an extraordinary train journey. This novel method of transporting visitors from one resort to another mixes an...April 25, 2023
World’s Coolest Neighborhoods To Visit In 2023 & Beyond
Mile End Mile End is a multicultural neighborhood located in the city of Montreal, Canada. It is famous for its diverse...April 22, 2023
Are You Dating a Psychopath? Experts Say These Subtle Signs May Help You Determine
We all have an idea of what a psychopath is – and we make it a point to never go near,...April 22, 2023
How Parents Can Help Their Kids Make New Friends
Making friends as a kid can be an intimidating process. When first meeting someone, it is often difficult to know how...April 12, 2023
Can Renovating Your Kitchen Increase Your Home’s Value?
We have no qualms in saying that the kitchen is the epicenter of the house. From morning coffees to late-night cravings,...April 10, 2023